About Holmen Lutheran Church
Holmen Lutheran Church is a people with a rich history moving forward in the hope of following Jesus Christ. Begun in 1907 our congregation has been passing on the faith in Jesus Christ for generations and seeks to continue to be God’s hands and feet in the world.
Holmen Lutheran Church is a part of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA). Please visit the ELCA website to see more about what it means to be Lutheran. Please enjoy this video tribute about what it means to be a part of a larger church.
The roots of Holmen Lutheran Church can be traced to our Norwegian ancestors who began the congregation over 100 years ago in 1907. The first services were conducted in the Town Hall in Holmen in 1899, and Rev.E. R. Berrum was called as the first pastor in 1906. The following year the cornerstone was placed for the new church building on October 31, and the first services were held in 1908.
When the congregation was incorporated in 1915, it was given the name of Holmen Scandinavian English Lutheran Church. This remained the congregation’s name until 1946 when it became the current Holmen Lutheran Church.
On January 22, 1953, the congregation’s building was destroyed by a fire of unknown origin. Nearly three years later, a dedication was held for a new church building, the sanctuary we use today. In 1967 the congregation broke ground for the education building added to the church. An elevator was added in 1986 to make the building more accessible, and a freestanding bell tower built in 1993. Recently, the sanctuary was refurbished and air-conditioning installed.
For portions of its history, Holmen Lutheran was aligned with other area congregations and served by the same pastor. One of these was Halfway Creek Lutheran Church, the first home of Luther College, Decorah, Iowa. In 1976 Holmen and Halfway Creek became separate parishes.
As the community and congregation grew, additional staff members were added: a second pastor in 1969, a Director of Education and Youth Ministry in 1988, and a division in this latter position into a Director for Youth Ministries and a Director for Parish Ministries in 2000.
Some of our members remember when Holmen was a village of 600; today it’s a growing community of more than 9,000. Our congregation itself has 1,900 baptized members seeking to grow as disciples and to do effective ministry in this exciting and challenging time.